Skip to content

Dec. 19, 2012

December 20, 2012

Mara’s surgery was yesterday. She came out of it nicely, except that she was, well, out of it, at least for a day. I spent the night in her room at the surgery center last night. The rooms are all private, and they each have a chair that turns into a single bed. Not exactly an easy chair, but it served the purpose. They even brought in fresh sheets, blankets and pillows for me. Mara slept most of the time, but I brought my laptop, and we packed some DVDs and ear buds. So, while she was asleep, I watched “It’s a Wonderful Life” last night and “Sense and Sensibility” this morning. She started feeling more alert, so I climbed into her hospital bed, and we watched the last hour or so of the second film together.

She looks pretty beat up with swelling a bruises, but she’s doing fine. And so am I. There’s no way I wouldn’t have come to be her caretaker. I know she would do the same for me.

We’re at an extended-stay hotel now. It has a kitchenette with a two-burner cooktop, a microwave oven and a full-size refrigerator. While Mara was in surgery yesterday, I bought groceries (they have Trader Joe’s here!), checked into the hotel and moved the groceries and all of our stuff into it, even though we didn’t spend the night her last night. But it was so nice to just get here and get settled today, with everything in its place.

From → Uncategorized

  1. Lorri and Caryn from ES, AR permalink

    I did this,too ,when we went to Chicago for intensive laser hair removal for Caryn.It was amazing.So nice to not have to leave the room.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: